It’s summer, so you know I’m not turning on my stove or oven if I can help it. That means I’m making a lot of meals on the grill – even things that you might not expect – like bread on the grill or grilled pizza. This time around, I had some help from the folks at Box Organix to give me inspiration.
They sent me organic chicken wings and some organic hot sauces and asked me to have at it. With children in the house, I knew I wasn’t going to be able to use the hot sauce as a marinade, but I figured I could make my wings tasty no matter what. So I made a kid version and an adult version, the only difference being that I tossed the adult version with my hot sauce mixture after I’d finished grilling them.
The verdict? All the wings disappeared. And I discovered that the wee ones had never eaten wings before, and my husband and I needed to teach them how. That was quite an entertaining education. And yes, we’ll be making these wings again – if we have any of the hot sauce left. My husband loves it so much that he’s been putting it on anything he can. But really – an order from Box Organix wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world.
Oh, who is Box Organix? Real quick info on them. They are an online company that delivers organic food – meats, dairy, fruits, veggies, and more – to your home. It’s amazing quality, and the prices beat what I can find locally. By a lot. If you eat organic food (and we do where we can), it’s definitely worth checking out. They have some really unique foods I haven’t seen elsewhere like bacon sausage and hot sauces.
The verdict in our house was that these were delicious. And I need to make them again. Soon. Given how quick and easy they were, you can bet I will be. There were no leftovers for this recipe, just a giant plate of bones.
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds chicken wings
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 c lemon juice
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 c oil
- 1/4 c butter
- 1/4 c hot sauce
- 1 t Worcestershire sauce
- 1 T vinegar
- Mince your garlic and add it to a glass dish. Add the lemon juice, salt, and olive oil. Stir to combine, then add your chicken wings and turn to coat.
- Place in the fridge and marinate for 3-5 hours.
- Preheat your grill, then remove your chicken from the fridge. Place on the grill skin side down and grill for 5-6 minutes. Flip and grill another 3 minutes.
- While you are grilling the chicken, make your hot sauce. Add the butter, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and vinegar to a pot and heat on medium low until melted. Stir to ensure it's incorporated.
- When your wings are done, set aside any that you are leaving for people who don't want spicy wings. Add the remaining wings to your pot of hot sauce, two or three at a time. Toss them to coat, and serve immediately.