One more day for the giveaway. Click here to enter before it ends Friday night!
This is my first year really in school. Mister Man is in kindergarten, and for the first year we have more requirements than signing up at the preschool and getting him a backpack.
This year, we have several things required before school starts:
1) He has to have an eye exam. Phew, we did this a couple weeks ago. Except I forgot to take the form with me. And I haven’t called them yet. And school starts Monday. What’s the likelihood they can fill out the form tomorrow and then fax it to the school? Yeah… I didn’t think so.
2) He needs to have a dental exam. I made the appointment for this, so this one is fortunately all on my husband. I dropped the form off with the dentist ahead of time. My husband forgot to take the completed one with him. And has yet to pick it up. Fingers crossed he has time tomorrow.
3) I need to actually sign him up for school. I dithered and dithered about where to go. The half day public school kindergarten that has the convenient bus, or the full day private school option that has differentiated education. I finally decided on the private school in the middle of July. Fortunately, there were still spaces left.
4) I have to buy school uniform for Mister Man. This should be easy, right? Navy pants and navy shorts – just not cargo. Red and white polo shirts with no logos. A pair of gym shoes (not until first grade do they have to have the brown or black shoes). Oops. I waited too long. There are apparently few manufacturers that make polos without logos on them. And fewer still that haven’t sold out by the end of the third week of August. Navy pants? That’s not so much the problem. But poor Mister Man is going to have to wear pants all year even when the temperatures are into the 90s. Oops. Sorry, Kiddo.
5) And there’s the dreaded school supply list. Seriously, I need to save what was on the list this year and just start buying the stuff in early July last year. Have you tried looking for a pack of Crayola broad tip classic color markers lately? Or an 8 pack of non-jumbo Crayola crayons? I finally gave up and bought RoseArt markers and a 24 pack of crayons. I emailed the teacher with my dilemma. She’s agreed that I can just pick out the eight colors of crayons and send them in a baggie, but she’s insisting that the markers need to be Crayola. I’ve literally been to eight stores, and they are quite simply sold out right now. Apparently, I know what I’ll be doing this weekend.
Oh, and don’t get me started on trying to find a lunchbox. In fact, I think that might be its own post. One of my friends is now making fun of me in my search for the lunchbox. And I have four more days now, so time is really running out.
The sad thing is that I have a feeling that even with a year of this under my belt and with the experience of this summer, next year I’ll be in the same boat. I’m just not good at getting ready for the new school year. I’m not ready for it to start myself!